Due to new technology and online services, becoming a musician without being discovered by a record label is easier now more than ever. In a sense, it benefits you as an artist by being knowledgeable about this evolving industry your chance for success is greater than those who follow an agency’s lead with little to no knowledge of what to expect.
Before you initiate a career in music, you must ask yourself how serious you are about it. The answer to this question is essential in defining your personal success and the success of your career. At Chase Lawyers, we have gone over how to start a music career , launch and promote a successful music career without the assistance of a manager or record label. We would just like to now summarize the necessary steps that need to be taken in order for you to get where you want to be, whether it be stardom or performing at the most popular venue in town.
1. Register a business entity in your state and open up a business bank account.
2. Draft an agreement between you and your partners.
3. Trademark your logo and build your brand.
4. Obtain and utilize Songwriter-Split Agreements.
5. Obtain and utilize Work-for-Hire Agreements.
6. Register the copyrights within your music.
7. Develop and manage your own website.
8. Create and post a music video under a written video-producer agreement.
9. Make your music commercially available online through an aggregator.
10. Affiliate with a Performing Rights Organization (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, etc.)
Chase Lawyers is a boutique entertainment law firm in Miami that advises and represents clients in legal matters related to music, sports, television/film, visual and literary works, modeling, online matters and intellectual property. If you are planning a music career, contact our entertainment lawyers in Miami today to ensure your path to stardom is a smooth one!